On Sunday, Submission Underground (SUG) held SUG 24, featuring an eight-man tournament with $10,000 and a shot at champion Mason Fowler on the line. Kyle Boehm won the tournament on a pair of regulation heel hooks and, in the finals, a submission on Pedro Marinho in overtime. And in the co-main event, SUG champion Amanda Loewen successfully defended her title against Raquel Canuto in an incredibly close match.
Just two days removed from a gold medal performance at the IBJJ American Nationals, Gracie Barra’s Pedro Marinho made his way to the tournament finals with a pair of quick heel hooks over Adam Sidelinger in the quarterfinals and Roberto Jimenez in the semifinals. Meanwhile, on the other side of the bracket, 10th Planet standout Kyle Boehm picked up a pair of heel hooks of his own over Renato Tagliari and Tanner Weisgram. In the finals, Boehm played passively in regulation, but was able to secure a rear-naked choke on Marinho in the first round of overtime.
With the win, Boehm is now the next challenger to Mason Fowler’s SUG championship.
The co-main was a battle of control time in overtime, as Amanda Loewen and Raquel Canuto racked up nearly 12 minutes of total control time in overtime. In the first overtime round, Loewen escaped with just six minutes remaining, and that was enough to carry her to victory, as she controlled Canuto for the full two minutes of each overtime round. Perhaps most impressive, Loewen did it all from the spiderweb position. This was Loewen’s second defense of her SUG belt.
SUG 24 results and highlights:
- Kyle Boehm def. Pedro Marinho via submission (rear-naked choke) in OT
Third place match:
- Roberto Jimenez def. Tanner Weisgram via submission (rear-naked choke)
SUG championship bout:
- Amanda Loewen def. Raquel Canuto via fastest escape time in OT
- Pedro Marinho def. Roberto Jimenez via submission (heel hook)
- Kyle Boehm def. Tanner Weisgram via submission (heel hook)
- Pedro Marinho def. Adam Sidelinger via submission (heel hook)
- Roberto Jimenez def. Adam Smith via submission (rear-naked choke)
- Kyle Boehm def. Renato Tagliari via submission (heel hook)
- Tanner Weisgram def. Nick Maximov via escape time in OT