On Saturday, Third Coast Grappling held its eight-man middleweight grand prix, and teenage jiu-jitsu phenom Micael Galvao put on an incredible performance, submitting elite competitors John Combs, Pedro Rocha, and Pedro Marinho to win the tournament and a $15,000 purse. Galvao’s grand prix-winning performance came just one day after he defeated Oliver Taza in a 15-minute submission only match at Who’s Number One.
In the first round of the tournament, Galvao submitted ADCC veteran John Combs by guillotine. In the semifinals, Galvao showed off his leg lock game, securing a heel hook on Pedro Rocha. And in the grand prix final, Galvao met Gracie Barra representative Pedro Marinho, and yet again Galvao was able to close the show with a submission, this time a beautiful armbar.
Galvao has been on a tear through the competition scene since relocating to the United States earlier this year. He has earned a gold medal at the 2021 no-gi Pans, is undefeated in two Who’s Number One matches, had a strong showing at the EUG 170-pound tournament.
Check out the highlight of Galvao’s three submissions below.
Third Coast Grappling middleweight grand prix results:
- Roberto Jimenez def. Adam Bradley via golden score in OT
- Pedro Marinho def. Pat Downey via submission (knee bar)
- Micael Galvao def. John Combs via submission (guillotine)
- Pedro Rocha def. Gustavo Batista via referee decision
- Pedro Marinho def. Roberto Jimenez via golden score in OT
- Micael Galvao def. Pedro Rocha via submission (heel hook)
- Micael Galvao def. Pedro Marinho via submission (armbar)